[Histonet] curling on cryostat brain sections and other issues

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Tue Mar 17 12:04:58 CDT 2009

I make 8um-thick sections of various tissues and sometimes they do curl. I
do not use an anti-roll plate. So what I do while making the section is to
cut just enough of the section so that it is attached by a very small
amount to the top of the block, (so that most of the block has gone down
below the blade and won't interfere when you pick up the section with your
slide). The free end of the section will still curl; however, you only have
this end to deal with since the other is fixed! I use my brushes to flatten
out this edge as much as possible, then quickly place the slide on it
before it starts curling up again. It usually will curl up rather slowly
after having its edges "brushed", giving me plenty of time.  Sometimes it
stays flat and doesn't curl at all. But remember this is 8-um sections, not
15um.

Merced

--On Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:18 PM -0400 Guillermo Palchik
<gp62 <@t> georgetown.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am having  problems with my brain sections  (15 um - flash-frozen)
> curling up once I remove the antiroll plate on my cryostat... does
> anyone know how i can prevent this?
> Also - does anybody have a "quick guide" on what to improve while
> cutting, based on the damage seen on the brain slice: for example I
> heard that if there are vertical lines along the slice, it might mean  a
> nick in the blade, that cracking of the tissue might be cutting with  the
> blade too perpendicular, and so on... i am looking for a general
> troubleshooting guide for cryostat cutting...
> thanks
> Gil
>
> --
> There are people who fight one day and are good...
> There are those who fight one year and are better...
> There are people who fight many years and are very good...
> But there are those who fight their entire lives: they are
> indispensable...
>
> Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956)
>

> How can it be that mathematics, being after all a product
> of human thought which is independent of experience, is so
> admirably appropriate to the objects of reality?
> Is human reason, then, without experience, merely by taking thought,
> able to fathom the properties of real things?
>
> Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.