[Histonet] Mucin staining

Lee Wenk lwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 3 14:44:35 CST 2009

What type of mucin? What type of cell? What is it's origin?

PAS will stain neutral mucin.

Mucicarmine works better on epithelial acid mucins, rather than connective
tissue acid mucins. But it will stain both sulfated and carboxylated acid
mucins.

Alcian blue (pH 2.5) and colloidal iron work well on both epithelial and
connective tissue acid mucins, and again on both sulfated and carboxylated
acid mucins.

Alcian blue at pH 1.0 or lower) stains sulfated, but not carboxylated, acid
mucins, both epithelial and connective tissue mucins.

High Iron Diamine (HID) stains sulfated acid mucins, of both epithelial and
connective tissue origin, but not carboxylated mucins.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aprill Watanabe" <awatanabe <@t> tgen.org>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:22 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Mucin staining

Someone please refresh my memory.  I am looking for a mucin stain to stain
cell lines embedded in agarose then formalin fixed and embedded in paraffin.
I know mucicarmine might work, but I¹ve also heard about using alcian blue.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Aprill Watanabe, B.S.
Research Associate
Integrated Cancer Genomics Division
Tissue Microarray Center (TMA)
Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen)
main: 602-343-8822
Fax: 602-343-8840
awatanabe <@t> tgen.org
www.tgen.org