[Histonet] Xylene substitute

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 08:28:50 CST 2009

Tom:
Dehydrate with graded isopropyl alcohol and clear with mixtures 5:1 and 2:1 of isopropyl and mineral oil (at 50ºC), followed by pure mineral oil (50ºC) and your regular infiltration with paraffin.
You will eliminate xylene totally and the used mineral oil will be disposed off mixed with the used paraffin as a solid.
If you want I can send you further details and a protocol.
René J.

--- On Thu, 1/22/09, Tom McNemar <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org> wrote:

From: Tom McNemar <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Xylene substitute
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 6:04 AM

Wondering what folks are using as a xylene substitute.  We have used Americlear
for many years and it has worked well.  I would like to find something that is
biodegradable and doesn't have such a strong odor.  Any suggestions or
recommendations?  Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems