[Histonet] texas red

ejschmid <@t> ucalgary.ca ejschmid <@t> ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 16 09:12:50 CST 2009

I need my GMA plastic sections to fluoresce, that is the plastic itself.
For the embedded tissue itself, I am using DAPI and Alexa Fluor 488. So
the stain I choose for the plastic, which I need to see using
fluorescence, cannot interfere with the DAPI or Alexa Fluor 488.

This is basically a triple labeling problem. The third stain I am
considering is Texas Red. The reason is that I can get it without it
conjugated to something (like a secondary) that makes it even more
expensive. I wouldn't use it to stain cells or tissues, but rather the
plastic of the thin sections (I know that sounds weird but my needs
require a little thinking outside the box).

So my basic question about whether Texas Red is a good choice breaks down
into two more specific questions: Will it work with the ALexa Fluor 488?
Is there another choice for a third stain that anyone can think of that
might be more suitable?

Thanks!
Eric
University of Calgary