[Histonet] RE: uncertified techs in Histology

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Wed Feb 11 16:47:58 CST 2009

Ok... I have to put in my 2 cents..

Bottom line... The other laboratory disciplines must be schooled,
trained, and certified. Histologists were not required in the beginning
because we don't make diagnoses and pathologists could teach us and not
have to pay us as much. That has caused a lack of respect to our
artistic, scientific, very important careers - mostly because of a lack
of understanding.

No one needs to put anyone down for being OJTd..even after years of
school you must have OJT! The degree and certification is not what makes
the tech, it is what brings a level of professionalism to our discipline
that we have never had. That was what this long ardous road was supposed
to lead to - not something intended to make it hard on techs. There were
years for the trained techs to do whatever ever it took to get
registered before the deadline arrived. We must stop whining (anyone
want cheese with their whine?) and remember that the pathologist is only
as good as we are.

Ok... I'll hush...

Have a great evening!

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.