[Histonet] RE: Mounting Media Question

Stancel, Barbara Barbara.Stancel <@t> fsis.usda.gov
Thu Feb 5 10:49:13 CST 2009

We have been using the Sakura Glas Coverslipper for about 4 years. We love it. It's our 5th tech. We use the Tissue-Tek Glas #6419 (Sakura) mounting media. It is the right consistency (no dilution needed), non yellowing, open the top and stick on the machine. We usually don't file our slides for several days so I cannot attest to its drying speed. We use ONLY Richard Allan Scientific "Slip-Rite" coverglasses, 24 x 50. Volume setting 4 and speed setting 5. Be sure the xylene in the tray does not get too high, never  up to the frost of the slide. The vacuum cup will get damp which will affect the vacuum holding the slide....not good! Always, Always keep the lubrication bottle and nozzle reservoir full of xylene. We have PM done yearly. The last 4 sentences are the voice-of-experience!!! If a "technical error" is possible, we've done it!!

Enjoy your new coverslipper!!

Barbara
Barbara Stancel, HTL(ASCP)
USDA, FSIS, EL, Pathology
Athens, Georgia 30605
706-546-3698  or  706-546-3556
barbara.stancel <@t> fsis.usda.gov

Message: 11
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:56:17 -0600
From: "LINDA MARGRAF" <LINDA.MARGRAF <@t> childrens.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Mounting media question
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

We will soon be receiving our new Sakura Glas Coverslipper. Can anyone
who is also using this instrument please tell me what type of mounting
media is being used.
We are looking for a fast-drying media that can be used for tissue
slides, non-gyne and gyne slides. We are also looking at long term
storage without fading capability.
Our current mounting media - Surgipath's Micromount used on the older
model Sakura -Glas coverslipper does not dry quickly. Storage and slide
handling issues around this problem.
Thank you,

Karen J Kay, MLT
Pathology Supervisor
Chinook Health Laboratory
Chinook Regional Hospital

Message: 12
The  Fisher Permount (SP15) is ideal for what you describe. The main advantage is that you can dilute it to your needs without losing any of its properties.
René J.