[Histonet] Advice about human autopsy samples in a purely research core lab

Caroline Miller cmiller <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Tue Dec 8 11:58:59 CST 2009

Hi Histoland!

I work in a small histology and microscopy core (2 members of staff)
in San Francisco at the Gladstone Institutes (affiliated with UCSF).
We have recently had an enquiry from a private autopsy service (with
LLC in their name) about human autopsy samples for processing,
cutting, HE staining and maybe a few special stains here and there.

My institutes would like to have a contract in place for this work to
cover our bases and I would like some advice on what to include in
that contract.

I have asked about regulations, and they say that their information is
private and not something monitored by outside agencies like CAP,
JCAHO, because they are not a diagnostic lab dealing with living
patients. They say that JCAHO doesn't apply because they are not
delivering health care.

They also say that: "An autopsy is not a surgical/therapeutic or "lab
test" procedure by any states law except Connecticut. " and HIPPA
doesn't apply because the patient is deceased.

I have worked with human tissue before, I ran a histo lab in London UK
so I am well aware of the UK laws, but unfortunately not the US ones.

So I ask the histoland: Is this all true? Are there any sticking
points we may run into with the regulations? How could we phrase the
contract so that there is no chance of come-back? Big questions, I
know, but any advice would be gratefully received

Yours
Caroline

Caroline Miller, M.Sc, DIC, AIBMS
Manager