[SPAM-HC] - [Histonet] what book to study for registry? - Email found in subject

Cazares, Ruth RCazares <@t> schosp.org
Fri Dec 4 10:11:43 CST 2009

 I recently mentored an employee who took and passed the certification test. We did use Freida's book but used questions from ASCP's study guide book to supplement. I felt that since ASCP is the entity putting together the test questions, the employee would benefit from being familiar with the type of questions ASCP would use.  It's a nice book, divided into the different chapters (fixation, microtomy, processing etc.) and it is also divided into the questions for HT and HTL.

In our situation, it helped identify the areas were the student was lacking so that we could focus on that area.

Ruth Cazares, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology
Swedish Covenant Hospital
5145 North California Ave
Chicago, IL 60625

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Richmond
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:22 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [SPAM-HC] - [Histonet] what book to study for registry? - Email found in subject

I'm working with a thirtysomething man with a degree in chemistry and a good bit of experience under his belt, who in these bad times wound up signing on as a histech with no experience. Trained by an elderly minimally competent tech, he's rapidly blossomed - is making superb slides and is really interested in histotechnology. He's appalled by the minimal knowledge of science of his co-workers.

With the base ulterior motive of trying to keep him from taking off when times get better, I've been strongly encouraging him to take the registry exam when he becomes eligible in a few more months. I'll try to work with him as much as I can.

My question to you all is - what book should he be studying? Is the exam still based on Freida Carson's book (2nd ed) which we have, or is there a more recent book we should get?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN