[Histonet] procedure for osmium and potassium chromate?

Cynthia Pyse cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com
Wed Dec 2 15:05:59 CST 2009

OSMIUM TETROXIDE FOR FAT (Paraffin SECTIONS)

Solutions
2.5% Potassium Dichromate Solution Stock
1% Osmium Tetroxide Solution Stock

Potassium Dichromate-Osmium Tetroxide Solution Working
  Potassium Dichromate Stock   50 ml
  Osmium Tetroxide stock     50 ml

Staining Procedure
1. Place formalin fixed specimen, no thicker than 4mm, in working potassium
dichromate-osmium tetroxide solution for up to 16 hours.
2. Wash specimen in running water for 2 hours.
3. Process tissue, embed in paraffin and cut at 4 microns.
4. Stain in routine H&E staining setup, than mount.
Results:
  Fat - black
  Background - same as H&E stain.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions please let me know.
Cindy Pyse, CLT, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
X-Cell Laboratories
e-mail cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com