[Histonet] Bone labelling for Microdamage

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:36:13 CST 2009

Karie,

If you are looking for microdamage or are using basic fuchsin, I have
been taught to bulk stain with 1% basic fuchsin in your processing
solutions (i.e. 1% BF in 70% EtOH, 1% BF in 80% EtOH, 1% BF in 95%
EtOH, and 1% BF in 100% EtOH) and then finish as you would with the
remaining steps for your MMA protocol (i.e. xylenes, MMA +DBP, etc.)
to achieve a fully polymerized bulk stained specimen. You then cut,
grind, and polish as required for use with the EXAKT system. I was
told the reason you process with the BF is because the cutting and
grinding causes additional microdamage and if you stain first the
additional damage will not be stained.

If you are talking about labeling bone for calculations of BFR or MAR
and the animal did not receive timed injections of calcein, alizarin,
tetracycline, or some other fluorescent bone label before necropsy,
then you could try doing a 0.6% FA etch for 30 seconds followed with
Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain for 3 minutes, brief tap water rinse, and
blot dry.

What is the exact specimen you are working with and what do you
specifically wish to demonstrate????

Jack