[Histonet] Organizing of cassettes for processing

Va Paula Sicurello vapatpxs <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 16:40:38 CDT 2009

When I batted clean up and loaded the processors, the residents grossed in the specimens and placed them in a basket in a container of formalin with a lid.  The grossing was done and the containers were kept on the downdraft table.

When it came time to load the processors I put the cassettes in numerical order and in separate baskets (smalls like GI biopsies and needle biopsies went together in one basket, fatty samples like breast tissue in another basket, etc).  I did this on the downdraft table and placed the cassettes in numerical order.

This helped us to find out if samples were mislabelled (2 cassettes with the same number) or missing (samples labelled A-F and D was missing).  This saved our bacon many times since I would make notes or ask the resident where the sample was or which was which.

It also made it easier for the embedders since I placed the notes regarding the missing cassettes by the embedding stations.  Plus they could embed the block in numeric order so the slides that needed to get out first were cut and stained first.

Paula Sicurello
VA Medical Center San Diego
Veterans Medical Research Foundation (VMRF)
Core for Micro Imaging(C-MI)
3350 La Jolla Village Dr., MC151
San Diego, CA 92161
858-552-8585 x2397