[Histonet] clearing agent for gross specimens

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 12:03:20 CDT 2009

Vinnie:
I always used the following solution:

Absolute ethanol -----------2000 mL
Distilled water ---------------- 680 mL
38% ("pure") formalin -------320 mL
acetic acid---------------------- 200 mL

The LN are revealed well
René J.

--- On Fri, 8/21/09, Della Speranza, Vinnie <dellav <@t> musc.edu> wrote:

From: Della Speranza, Vinnie <dellav <@t> musc.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] clearing agent for gross specimens
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Friday, August 21, 2009, 12:15 PM

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who routinely utilizes a clearing agent in the gross room to clear fat from tissues to allow lymph nodes to be visualized.

I am aware of Dissect Aid but would like to learn of other comparable products.
If individuals are using home made solutions are will to share their formula I would appreciate receiving that information as well.

Our primary interest is speed of clearing for turnaround time reasons.

I am in the midst of a Histosearch search but it is slow going because most discussions refer to tissue processing or staining so it's like looking for a needle in a haystack

Thank you all

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
165 Ashley Avenue Suite 309