[Histonet] Re: Human samples in university research lab

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Mon Aug 10 12:47:43 CDT 2009

Denise,

You will need to contact your Institute Biosafety Committee (IBC) before you can start working on human samples in your lab. They should have everything you'll need to do in order to become compliant with federal regulations involving the use of human materials. It takes a ton of paperwork and preparation on the part of the collaborator and the university. In addition, anybody handling the material will need to take training so they are aware of the ethical and biohazardous issues involved.

Good luck!

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:42:52 -0400
From: Denise Crowley <dencrowl <@t> MIT.EDU>
Subject: [Histonet] Human samples in university research lab
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hi all,

We are a research core facility processing animal tissues for cancer
research.  We have been approached by a collaborator about bringing
human sample to us for processing, sectioning, and routine H&E
staining, for use in research, not diagnosis.  In the past, we have
always encouraged these folks to have their slides cut at the
clinical facility which is supplying the tissue.  But we are getting
more and more of these requests and I need to think about the changes
we would need to make in our protocols, both in the processing
schedules and safety issues.  And I cannot even imagine the legal
issues involved in transporting patient samples and informed
consent.  Can anyone give me some guidance here?
Thanks,

Denise Crowley
Facility Manager Histology
David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research Massachusetts Institute of Technology 40 Ames St. E17-427 Cambridge MA  02139 617-258-8183 dencrowl <@t> mit.edu