[Histonet] AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE

Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Mon Apr 27 09:07:10 CDT 2009

Phyllis,

I have used ammonia frequently in the past for soaking certain troublesome blocks but it has never resulted in sections washing off. We do use Plus slides, though.

Jeanine Bartlett
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
(404) 639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Phyllis Thaxton
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:02 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE

Hi all,
  I looked in archives to see if I could find any info on this but did not. Remember, we are having a problem with some of the sections floating off during IHC.
   If paraffin blocks are faced and then placed  in ammonium hydroxide before cutting the H&E, would this cause the sections to float off if the unstained sections that are cut in addition to the H&E's are also produced in this manner?
Phyllis Thaxton HT(ASCP)QIHC
DCH Regional Medical Center
Tuscaloosa, AL