[Histonet] non-specific fluorescence in artery

Sarah Tarran sarah_tarran <@t> wmi.usyd.edu.au
Thu Apr 23 23:58:08 CDT 2009

Hi Histonetters,

We have a problem. We have optimised LSP-1 (leukocyte specific protein) on
spleen that has been fixed in 4% PFA/PBS for 2h, incubated in
18%sucrose/PBS overnight and then embedded in OCT. We now want to test it
on our arteries that have been fixed and frozen the same way as the
spleen. The staining protocol used is also identical for both tissues (see
below). However, unlike the specific staining we observe in spleen (on the
leukocytes), we observe very obvious non-specific background in the
arteries. Pretty much all of the stroma surrounding the tissue is
positively staining. The negative controls look good. Could anyone please
offer any reasons for what we're seeing? Our method is:

H2O to get rid of OCT
Citrate buffer - 10min at 60C (H2O bath)
Wash in running water - 10 min
Soaked 0.3%Triton/PBS - 3changes, 3 min each
Dako Protein block - 10 min
Primary Ab (rabbit anti-mouse), 1:50 diln - 1h
TBS with tween - 3x 3 changes
secondary Ab (Alexa Fluor 594, goat anti-rabbit), 1:800 - 1h
TBS with tween - 3x 3 changes
DAPI

Thanks,
Sarah