[Histonet] Finding iron in decalcified sections

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 23 04:50:53 CDT 2009

Acid decalcifiers will remove some to all iron.

Don't use Bouins - picric ACID and acetic ACID will start the
decalicification process, and will definitely remove small amounts of iron.
Use the NBF.

Can you switch to a milder decalcifier for a longer time?
- FASC = formic acid-sodium citrate
- EDTA

The Bancroft book has the procedures for these. If you need them, let me
know.

Now, with that said, I have a question - what type of iron is it? I know the
Prussian Blue iron stain will demonstrate hemosiderin, with ferric ions (FE
+3) in the center. And that hemosiderin also contains ferritin, which is a
ferric ion (FE +3) protein complex. Prussian blue will demonstrate ferric
chloride (Fe +3 ions) when put in goblet cells for the Colloidal iron stain.
But Prussian blue will not stain the iron bound in RBC in the form of
hemoglobin. That iron is bound to oxygen and proteins, and isn't available
for Prussian blue staining.

So, I don't happen to know (and would love to learn) what type of iron is in
chicken beaks. Is it iron metal filings (no charge, and I'm guessing
probably won't stain with Prussian blue), or iron ions but bound to proteins
and/or other chemicals that won't stain with Prussian blue? Or is it the
type of ferric ion that is available for Prussian blue staining? Or is there
another technique that's going to be used to demonstrate the iron?

(I love HistoNet. Get to learn new things every day!)

Happy National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week!

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48037