[Histonet] microtome maintenance training

Maryott, Bridget bridget.maryott <@t> ventana.roche.com
Fri Apr 17 16:38:57 CDT 2009

I have a tech who is interested in learning to service (PM) microtomes.

Has there been an NSH or regional workshop on this topic recently?  Can
anyone suggest a vendor or other program, if not NSH?

First off let me preface this noting that this is my first ever reply,
so hopefully I am doing this correctly.

Prior to being in the field of Histology my father and I had a small
company doing Microscope/Microtome Service and repairs. Lucky for me
Leica sent my dad to school to learn how to do microtome service. I in
turn learned from him. I too looked into finding a program to become
certified and found that none existed. Unless you work for an authorized
microtome manufacturer nobody is interested in training you or selling
you parts for repairs. Also the micrometers required to properly
calibrate the instrument are VERY pricey and vary from instrument to
instrument. Also the procedure for calibrating the instrument depends on
the make and model. I think you may see where i'm heading with this.

So I guess my answer is no, but while we are on the topic I can provide
a few hints to making sure the microtome service you pay for is being
done correct.

1)    Be there when they calibrate the instrument.

2)    Make sure they take the case off and use a micrometer while
testing the section thickness.

3)    Ask for a calibration report, including what thickness your
instrument is cutting at, the allowed tolerance for that instrument, and
if any adjustments were made.

All to many times I have come upon service companies that have been
charging customers for calibration when the case had never even been
taken off instrument. The more you know the better.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps.

Bridget Maryott

Advanced Staining

Ventana Medical Systems, Inc.

a member of the Roche Group