[Histonet] Freezing rodent brains for Mass Spec

Gay Rudow grudow1 <@t> jhmi.edu
Wed Apr 15 11:01:55 CDT 2009

We freeze mouse brains that have been perfused with 4% paraformaldehyde, put into PBS for 24 hours, and then into PBS with 30% sucrose overnight. We snap freeze them in methyl butane on dry ice. You have to put a thermometer into the methyl butane periodically to make sure that it doesn't get colder than -20 C or the brain will crack. Will the sucrose get in the way of what you are doing, or will this work for you?

Gay Rudow

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jackie M O'Connor
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:54 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Freezing rodent brains for Mass Spec

I have a colleague who requires snap frozen  rodent brains to perform Mass
Spec on 10micron frozen sections mounted on plates.     Because OCT
interferes with mass spec, they are currently using ethanol to slow the
freezing process to prevent cracking of the brain in liquid nitrogen. The
alcohol, however, causes some detriment to the surface of the brains - in
science-speak "they get mushy".    Does anyone have any suggestions for
snap freezing brains without any substrate while preventing cracking?

Jackie O'