[Histonet] Animal Tissue processing question

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 06:34:18 CDT 2008

Hi Jennifer,
The NSH publishes an "Animal Processing Manual", I don't think it costs very much ($30 for members) and it lists the processing schedules for many different species; I believe that most of these schedules were submitted by VIR researchers.
Here is the link:
http://www.nsh.org/organizations.php3?action=printContentItem&orgid=111&typeID=1157&itemID=18328
 Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)
Cambridge, MA

----- Original Message ----
From: "histoinfo <@t> comcast.net" <histoinfo <@t> comcast.net>
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:13:50 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Animal Tissue processing question

Dear Histonetters,
After doing human histology for 15 years I am excited to have the opportunity to help start up a brand new research histology laboratory. It is a very small lab so I will still have my day job. But it is all new and different and a bit exciting. I would like to ask your help with the processing times. I know animal tissue is dryer so I am thinking less time in alcohol but am looking to those of you out there with the experience for a place to start when it comes to VIP processing times.  I know I will be processing tissues from pigs and primates if that makes a difference. Brand new VIP, brand new embedding center, brand new microtome. . . . I can't tell you how exciting this is. Thanks for all your help.
Jennifer