[Histonet] SPECIAL STAIN PNUEMOCYSTSIS

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 16:11:42 CST 2008

I would suggest the sulphated toluidine blue method as described below. It is quick and demonstrates PC very well (though not quite as good as well-done (or should I say under-done) methenamine silver.

Following sulphation, fungi stain metachromatically with toluidine blue. Certain hydroxyl groups are esterified by sulphuric acid to form ester sulphate groups that stain metachromatically with toluidine blue (Smith & Lowrey 1986, J. Histotechn. 9(1):23-24. ).

Fixation:      10% buffered formalin

Microtomy:     5μm paraffin sections

Solutions:

1.   Sulphation Solution:

Absolute Acetone 1 ml - pre-cooled to 4oC.
Slowly add 1 ml concentrated sulphuric acid drop by drop.
Allow cooling before use.

2.   3% Acetic Acid.

3.   Toluidine Blue O Solution:

     Toluidine Blue O (CI 52040)	0.01g
     3% Acetic Acid			100ml

4.   Metanil Yellow Counterstain:

     Metanil yellow (CI 13065)		0.1g
     Distilled Water			100ml
     Glacial Acetic Acid		0.1ml

5.   Absolute Acetone.

Controls: Fungi containing tissue.

Procedure:

1.	Deparaffinise and bring to absolute alcohol.
2.	Dry briefly, cover with sulphation reagent, 3 minutes.
3.	Briefly wash in running water.
4.	Place in 3% acetic acid, 1 minute.
5.	Stain in Toluidine Blue O solution, 3 minutes.
6.	Rinse in 3% acetic acid, 1 minute.
7.	Differentiate in absolute acetone, 5 seconds.
8.	Rinse in distilled water, 5 seconds.
9.	Counterstain in Metanil Yellow solution, 6 seconds.
10.	Rinse in distilled water, 5 seconds.
11.	Blot, dehydrate rapidly, clear and mount.

Results:
     Fungi stained purple to red against a yellow background.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA