[Histonet] Silly Question? - Need help quickly!

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Dec 11 16:29:40 CST 2008

Good point

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Merced Leiker
Sent: Friday, 12 December 2008 5:19 AM
To: rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; Pat Flannery; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Weems, Joyce
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Silly Question? - Need help quickly!

So...is a polymer of paraformaldehyde considered "depolymerized" if it
remains somewhere between 1-50 molecules long once it's been  dissolved in
solution, however it's dissolved? (the dissolving being a separate topic of
debate on Histonet).  Does it matter for tissue fixation purposes if there
are formaldehyde chain lengths of 50 molecules present in solution - not
long enough to precipitate out, but perhaps long enough to affect its
penetration and fixing of tissues?  Any ideas?

Merced

--On Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:58 AM -0800 Rene J Buesa
<rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joyce:
> Methanal, which is the chemical name of formaldehyde, polymerizes. If
> it forms a polymer of at least 50 molecules or more, it gets solid =
> para-formaldehyde. Formalin (a trade name as formol is also another
> trade name)is the 37-50% aqueous solution of formaldehyde (with some
> additiveses to prevent polymerization). You can prepare BNF using the
> formalin solution or dissolving the amount of solid
> para-formaldehydede to get to the concentrationon you desire. The
> chemical in both solutions is the same = methanal or formaldehyde.René
> J.

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 BRB (pkgs) / 140 Farber Hall (letters)
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

"Without my flaws I'm really very boring."
- random internet blog commentator

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.