[Histonet] Embedding paraffin blocks

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:44:51 CST 2008

There is not a set number or industry guideline. The number of blocks per hour will depend on the tissue type mix, the complexity of the embedding technique and the competency of the persons embedding. If you truley want a number that works for your lab, then perfom a short time study on all the employees assigned to embedding and then look at their performance statistically. The number should be a set as a minimum task expectations, not a maximum. You will want to encourage perfromance excellence. I have found that the number will also fluctuate as there are personnel changes and volume of tissue types change. We have been monitoring performance, coupled w/ quality for 4+ years.

William DeSalvo BS HTL(ASCP) > From: jwarren23 <@t> cinci.rr.com> To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:12:44 -0500> Subject: [Histonet] Embedding paraffin blocks> > Is there an average number of blocks that a tech should be able to embed in a defined time period; such as so many blocks per hour? Also, would that number vary if the tech was embedding biopsies, skin or cones versus large tissue blocks, such as uterus? I have not seen this information, but I have heard widely ranging numbers. Thanks> > Jean in Cincinnati> _______________________________________________> Histonet mailing list> Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet