[Histonet] wax cracks along edge of biopsies

Patricia Valente pvalente <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 17 22:49:56 CDT 2007

 Any suggestions about the cause of blocks cracking along the edge of biopsies (happens with some of our prostate biopsies about 14-20 mm long)
We have tried to eliminate following factors
    the temp of the cold plate (-5 C)
    Care in removing blocks from molds
    biopsies getting colder before  embedding- therefore wax not evenly impregnated
Seems to happen along one side of the biopsy causing splitting and or creases when sectioning
sometimes only  a couple of blocks effected sometimes an irritating amount. usually solved when re-embedded
What technique can we change to eliminate problem

other details- processing looks OK, cores are not hard, wax in use is polyfin

Thanks