[Histonet] RE: IHC screening on TMA slides

Langxing Pan langxingpan <@t> pantomics.com
Sat Mar 3 15:51:42 CST 2007

Hi Ana,

It is extremely hard to make the TMA for IHC screening of 100 hybridomas
simultaneously on one slide.  I agree with Patsy that ELISA/IHC(up to 380
wells or samples per plate) would be the solution for real high throughput.
This technique has been used to screen hybridomas on cells. You may just
adapt it for tissue fragments.

I used to use multi-well slides for my hybridoma IHC screening. I put two
tissues per well. Each slide contains 10 wells. That was done before the TMA
technology. Erie Scientific (now sold as Thermo Scientific) still sells
these slides (http://www.eriesci.com/diagnostic/excell_slides.aspx). However
it is very hard and time-consuming to pick sections onto each well on the
slide.

We recently made a TMA for a company for antibody screening, which contained
eight 5mm cores. Each 5mm core contained five tissues of 1 mm core size. I
think that it is possible to make up to 20 cores of  1 ~ 1.5mm/per slide
that are separated well  enough for antibody screening, or 8 big cores/per
slide. Each big core can contain up to nine 1mm tissue elements. If you need
any help about similar TMA, do let me know.

All the best,

Langxing Pan, M.D., Ph.D.
Pantomics, Inc.
457 Mariposa Street