[Histonet] Sudan IV staining

Jo Dee Fish jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 18 17:49:37 CST 2007

Jennifer,

I have not actually done the stain, I dissect and pin out the aortas (100's
of them!) and the investigators do the staining and imaging.  The paper you
referenced was actually edited by our institute President.  The protocol we
use is:

-Place pinned out aortas in 70% EtOH for 5 minutes.
-Stain in 0.5% Sudan IV in 1:1 acetone:absolute EtOH.
-Differentiate in 80% EtOH for 3 minutes.
-Rinse in tap water for 1-2 minutes.
-Store in 3% paraformaldehyde in PBS at 4C until imaging can be done.

I also googled Sudan IV stain and found a very similar protocol right away
at the whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au website, and I'm sure there are others out
there.

Good luck,
Jo Dee

Jo Dee Fish
Research Technologist III
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease

Telephone: (415) 734-2567
Fax: (415) 355-0824
E-mail: jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu

Mailing address: