[Histonet] Re: STF replacement

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Jan 2 12:39:11 CST 2007

Ten years ago on Histonet Hal Hawkins posted:

>>We have been very pleased with the results of immunostaining tissues fixed
with Streck Tissue Fixative (Streck Labs Inc., PO 37625, Omaha, NE 68137-0625,
(402) 691-7453). It contains Bronopol, which is 2-bromo-2-nitro-propanediol,
and diazolidinyl urea, C7H14N4O7, with zinc sulfate and sodium citrate, and
less than 0.1% formaldehyde. It meets government standards for disposal in
public sewers, as not forming hazardous vapors, and for shipping as a nontoxic
substance. Prolonged fixation does not mask antigens. I presume it is a weak
cross-linker and denaturant. The morphology is excellent at the light level, but no
good by EM.<<

Checking my "Funny Fixatives" file, I don't find any similar fixative. I
think that STF may have functioned as a transport medium, so that fixation would
occur in the processor. Ethanol would thus be the fixative unless the processor
sequence began with formaldehyde.

A good lesson in why you should use laboratory materials of known composition
whenever possible, rather than relying on mysterious proprietary mixtures.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN