[Histonet] APTS Coating of Microscope Slides

Greg Dobbin gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org
Wed Aug 29 06:21:26 CDT 2007

Hi Jerry,
You'll have to decide for yourself if all the manual labour involved is
economical, but to answer your question: the silane imparts a positive
charge on the slide. There is is no coating per se that will change
color or otherwise deteriorate over time. The charge, however, can be
lost if the slides get wet while in storage (ie before use). Hope this
helps.
Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Histology Lab
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

>>> JR R <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com> 8/28/2007 7:22 PM >>>

Back when I was a lad I coated all of my own slides using APTS, or
(3-Aminopropyl)trimethoxysilane.

It worked pretty well at keeping sections on the slides.  We have been
using Superfrost Plus charged slides for a while now, but it is costing
us about $500.00 per month just in slides.

Can anyone think of a reason I ought not to go back to just coating my
own slides?  Will the coated slides themselves change color over time,
interfere with my stains, etc?

I do mostly Movat Pentachrome stains and IHC.

Thanks.

Jerry L. Ricks
Research Scientist
U.W. Medicine at South Lake Union