[Histonet] Re: stains for myocardial injury

histology <@t> gradymem.org histology <@t> gradymem.org
Thu Aug 2 13:12:11 CDT 2007

Here is a copy of the procedure we used to do.
Angie

MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIA STAIN
(Hematoxylin-Basic Fuchsin-Picric Acid Method)

PRINCIPLE:
The H & E method does not reveal unequivocal morphologic changes in
cases of myocardial infarction until 15 to 20 hours have elapsed after
the onset of the injury.  The HBFP technique detects early changes of
myocardial infarction by coloring affected fibers red.  Normal and
frankly ischemic myocardium colors yellow.  The differential staining
results are believed to be caused by an unstable protein complex
present in the early phases of myocardial ischemia.

SPECIMEN:
Any well fixed tissue (10% neutral buffered formalin) may be used.
Paraffin embedded tissue is sectioned at 4 microns.

REAGENTS:
Solution A   Alum hematoxylin.
			Ammonium aluminum sulfate       6 gm
			Hematoxylin			0.5 gm
			Yellow mercuric oxide		0.25 gm
			Mix these 3 ingredients in 70ml of distilled
water.  Boil 10 minutes.  Cool and add 30 ml of glycerol and 4 ml of
glacial acetic acid.  Filter before use.

Solution B   Basic fuchsin
			This is a 0.1% solution in distilled water.

Solution C   Picric acid
			This is a 0.1% solution in absolute acetone.

STAINING PROCEDURE:
1.  Deparaffinize and hydrate to distilled water.
2.  Stain in solution A for 10 seconds.
3.  Wash in running tap water for 5 minutes.
4.  Stain in solution B for 3 minutes.
5.  Rinse briefly (5-10 seconds) in distilled water.
6.  Rinse briefly (5-10 seconds) in absolute acetone.
7.  Differentiate in solution C until the red color ceases to run off
the section--usually about 20 seconds .
8.  Rinse briefly (5-10 seconds) in absolute acetone.
9.  Clear in Americlear.
10. Mount with Mounting Medium.

RESULTS:
Acutely ischemia myocardium--crimson red
Normal myocardium--light brown
Nuclei--blue-purple
Red blood cells, fibrin, plasma, proteins, elastic fibers,
	collagen--red
Note:  The irregular fuchsin staining of myocardial cells along the
edge of the section is considered an artifact.

REFERENCES:
Sheehan, Dezna C.:  Theory & Practice of Histotechnology.
	Second Edition, 1980, C. B. Mosby Company.

Angie Barnett, HTL(ASCP)
Grady Memorial Hospital
Pathology Department
405/224-2258