[Histonet] Fluorescein Follow-up

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:17:15 CDT 2007

We have one researcher who does this and is seeing the FITC after paraffin
processing.  We actually have one xylene, and one Clearite 3 on our
processor.  We deparaffinize in Clearite 3, with an extra change to ensure
good paraffin removal. She is seeing FITC signal, although she asks for
thick sections 10 um or more for confocal work.

I don't know what Sub-X is?  Some kind of xylene substitute.  At 10:00 AM
4/13/2007, you wrote:
>Thanks to those that responded to my fluorescein question (is
>fluorescein removed by xylene?).  I had two conflicting responses and
>that brings up a very logical (I should have seen this before...)
>question: if fluorescein is removed by xylene, am I not "dead in the
>water" right out of the box although I do use Sub-X on the processor
>(but xylene in the stain line).  Is THAT a factor (the Sub-X) as it's a
>XYL substitute?

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor