[Histonet] Re: cut resistant gloves

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Nov 7 13:09:35 CST 2006

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP), Anatomic Pathology Supervisor, Holy Redeemer
Hospital, in Meadowbrook, Pennsylvania asks:

>>We recently had a serious cut in the grossing room. Does anyone require
their personnel to wear cut-resistant liners? If so, for what duties? Do the
pathologists routinely wear them?<<

In my travels I've rarely seen any special precautions taken. One hospital
did have the chain-mail metal glove liners for everybody, but only one
pathologist ever used them, a very fastidious man who left nearly all of the autopsy
dissection to the (uncertified) autopsy technician. I never got around to trying
them, though I meant to. I like a good pair of surgical gloves for the
autopsy, and nitrile-rubber gloves for handling tissue in formalin, double-gloving
my left hand in deference to the very poor quality of present-day
nitrile-rubber gloves. Latex gloves should not be used for handling formaldehyde or xylene.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville, Tennessee