[Histonet] 20 micron sections Cresyl Violet Acetate stained

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon Feb 20 13:25:07 CST 2006

There were 3 reasons for using 20um sections
(though 6um sections were also used in the paper
that you quote).

1. The spinal cords of interest were from people
who had died of ALS, and motor neurons were not
numerous. A thick section has more cells in it
than a thin one.(The control subjects had plenty
of motor neurons, of course, but the sections had
to be the same thickness for quantitative
comparisons.)
2. 20um was the thickest that was easily handled
with paraffin sections. For neuroanatomical work,
frozen sections are commonly cut at 40-80um for
Nissl staining.
3. You need to include as much neuron as possible
in the section, to show the shape and size.

We did not have trouble with sections coming off
the slides, which were coated (subbed) with
chrome-gelatin.

There was no difficulty with either the myelin
stain (iron-eriochrome cyanine R; Page's method)
or with the Nissl counterstain. Neutral red was
used because it contrasted well with the blue
myelin. If you're not interested in myelin you can
use any cationic dye as a Nissl stain. Cresyl
violet can be quite a fiddle; make sure you have a
certified batch of the dye. Neutral red or
toluidine blue (0.5%, pH 3.5 to 4) is easier to
use. H&E is not suitable for staining neurons.
--
John A. Kiernan