[Histonet] Keeping blocks/slides

Linda Blazek BlazekL <@t> childrensdayton.org
Tue May 17 10:27:25 CDT 2005

 Deanna,This is the CAP guideline for retention of records, blocks and slides.  Hope this helps.Linda  ANP.12500             Phase II N/A   YES   NO Are surgical pathology records and materials retained for an appropriate period? NOTE:  Minimum requirements for surgical pathology, providing these are not less stringent than state and federal regulations, are: 1.                  Accession log records  2 years2.                  Wet tissue (stock bottle)  2 weeks after final report3.                  Paraffin blocks  10 years4.                  Glass slides and reports  10 years The retention period should be extended, when appropriate, to provide documentation for adequate quality control and medical care.  There must be a documented policy for protecting and preserving the integrity and retrieval of surgical pathology materials and records. COMMENTARY: N/A REFERENCE: College of American Pathologists. http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/laboratory_accreditation/RetentionGuidelines010405.pdf.

Linda  Blazek, HT (ASCP)
Department of Pathology
Children's Medical Center
Dayton, Ohio  45404
(937) 641-3358
fax (937)641-5482
blazekl <@t> childrensdayton.org

>>> "Snider, Deanna" <dsnider <@t> shrinenet.org> 05/17/2005 11:17 AM >>>

Hell netters,
I would like to know if there is a rule or regulation in any of the
governing bodies, concerning the length of time a facility must retain the
blocks /slides.  I know each facility seems to have different rules for
this, but I don't know if there is an actual rule anywhere.
Thanks,
Deanna

Shriners Hospital for Children
Research Dept.
Cincinnatti, Oh
513-872-6388

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients.  If you are not the intended recipient, (or
authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that you
have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure,
dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies
of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by reply
e-mail or telephone (813) 281-0300.