[Histonet] Processing with mesh cassettes

Bonnie Whitaker bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com
Tue Jun 7 10:14:26 CDT 2005

On our processor (Thermo's Excelsior), it was a very simple matter to
increase the drain times in between each reagent.  That did the trick for
us.

Bonnie Whitaker

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Michelle
Becker
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:12 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Processing with mesh cassettes

We recently started using mesh cassettes for small biopsies, also called
micromesh, histoscreen or micro biopsy cassettes, depending on the
manufacturer. The techs, as well the pathologists, love them. Unfortunately,
it has caused reagent carryover in our tissue processors (VIP 3000 & Leica
TP1050)after only one run.  The first reagent level (formalin)decreases
significantly; the 2nd reagent level(Prefer), as well the next 3 alcohol
levels, have significant increases. The tissue processor used does not seem
to make a difference. We run a 4 hour short program with vacuum for
biopsies. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve
it?  I really hate to stop using something the techs and pathologists love
and actually agree on! Thank-you.

Michele Becker, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Manager
Laboratory Corporation of America