[Histonet] mitochondrial peroxidase

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 08:59:28 CST 2005

Hi Steven:
  That term of "mitochondrial peroxidase" is somewhat confusing for me. Peroxidase exists in the cells (as you well know) to allow to use oxygen delivered by the
  oxygenated hemoglobin.
  As far as I remember respiration is a mitochondrial processin all eukaryotes, therefore peroxidase should always be present in the mitochondria. If you can quench peroxidase, if you can "spent" that enzime with the hydrogen peroxide step of the
  IHC procedure, you should be able to block the peroxidase no matter where it is present, including (or even limited to) the mitochondria.
  If the hydrogen peroxide you use is enough to block peroxidase from other sections or cases and not in this particular case, perhaps what you could do is to double the blocking time from 5 to 10 minutes to see if you can eliminate the problem.
  Do you have this same problem in the negative control also? If it is also in the negative control this unspecific staining has nothing to do with the primary antibody.
  I hope this will help you!
  René J.

CrochiereSteve <@t> aol.com wrote:
  Does anyone know of a blocking reagent to eliminate endogenous mitochondrial
peroxidase? I have a tumor case that is staining positive (nonspecifically)
for everything and the pathologist seem s to think it's caused by what he's
calling "Mitochondrial peroxidase" in the tumor cells. Any ideas how to block this?

Have a merry Christmas,
Steven M. Crochiere, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
LifePath Partners @ Mercy Medical Center