[Histonet] An explanation of The Histonet Mail Loop

Herb Hagler hagler.herb <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:17:42 CDT 2004

I wanted to thank those of you who have hung in there during the trials
the last 24 hrs.

I wanted to let you know what happened:

A person that everyone is familiar with now went on vacation and left
an "out of office" notice on their email account.  This can be a huge
problem as we experienced first hand.  Instead of a reply to the sender
of the email, they setup a reply to the histonet list. The reply to
list was posted, that message was sent from histonet to the persons
vacation reply, which replied to the list, which generated another
response.....millions of emails later everything slowed to a crawl.

Please, please if you go on vacation and must leave a reply to tell
everyone that you are out of the office, remember to unsubscribe from
any list servers before you leave and give it a 30 minute test before
you finally go out the door so you don't become known and loved by so
many people and every server admin on the planet.

I think that you get the picture.  This was a big time mail loop which
in a matter of a few hours filled up everyones email quotas, filled our
admin message boxes, filled up the server, and all of this happened at
the end of the day here in Dallas during heavy rains when everyone that
could fix it was trying to get home.

So we think things are quiet now.  We are getting fewer bounces, so
would some of you gentle people please begin asking your questions
again about histology, employment and other interesting issues.

Questions about why is my mail box full of junk messages, should be
obvious to everyone that something went wrong in geek land, and we have
identified the problem(99% confidence) and hopefully things will return
to normal by tomorrow afternoon when I switch the server from manual to
auto.

Thanks and cheers,
Herb