[Histonet] Xylene substitutes....again

Connie McManus convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Thu Jun 3 12:24:30 CDT 2004

1)  I used to use Histoclear.
2)  It was satisfactory for most tissues, but it made brain, liver,
spleen etc. very friable and hard to cut.  Also, I did not like the way
it performed in coverslipping my sections.
3)I'm not certain I know what you mean by having the same "power" as
xylene... I assume this means ability to clear tissues in processing and
dehydrated slides and in deparaffinizing sections prior to staining.  I
thought it was mediocre as a deparaffinizer (required 10 minutes in 3
changes) and was not miscible with the mounting medium.  It was supposed
to be compatible with xylene or toluene based mediums, but I did not
find this to be true.  Maybe the manufacturer has a different concept of
"miscible" than mine.  I dunno.  Anyway... in the dehydration series on
the stainer, there seemed to be a lot of water absorption which made
changing each tub mandatory at the end of the day... and I live in a
very dry climate...

IMHO ...  avoid histoclear.  If you can use xylene, do it.

Oh, I forgot.  That citrus odor was really nauseating.

Connie McManus
Utah Veterinary Diagnostics Laboratory
Utah State University
Logan, UT