[Histonet] Fresh vs. frozen paraformaldehyde

Barlow, Gillian Gillian.Barlow <@t> cshs.org
Fri Oct 17 16:38:13 CDT 2003

Dear Histonetters

Please solve an ongoing debate for our perfusions!  I was always told that
4% paraformaldehyde should be made fresh each time before using, at max made
the evening before and stored at 4 degrees to use the following morning.
However, somebody from another lab says they make theirs in bulk and freeze
what they dont use, thawing and refreezing as necessary.  Is this ok to do?
They also say they use 10% neutral buffered formalin for their perfusions if
they dont have 4% PFA.

Many thanks
Gillian
Gillian Barlow, PhD